Weird, Wrong, and Wonderful

I’m sure we all just LOVE technology, don’t we? I’m attempting to post this from my iPad because the family computers are both shot at the moment. I haven’t been able to use them for the past two weeks or so between busy schedules and their inability to cooperate. for those who may have come to read this before the content was added, I apologize: somehow uploading a picture (one that will be added when I get acces to the computer again) can be interpreted as a command to corrupt the file and post the blog early. I suppose it only helps support the title of my post though. After all, it is with unexpected frequency that things are surprising–whether that be because they are much worse than expected, or far better, or both, or just plain weird.

My Wrist

As I write this, I’m just overcoming an oddity I face from time to time in my right wrist. Across a surface of perhaps three inches square, water is pouring from my body like from a spring in the ground. Not only is it very profuse, but the sweat is insanely cold. One of the most extreme examples would have happened about a year ago now. I didn’t realize my wrist was starting to freeze until I had three drops of frigid water splatter my leg in quick succession, followed by a torrent of the same stuff that didn’t stop for a half an hour at least.

Cross Country

Earlier today, I had a cross country race. It was, in fact, our conference meet and we were hosting it at another school’s course. This course had been selected for its tendency to be a fast one because of how flat it is. The team went in expecting PRs from nearly everyone. that included myself, who has failed to PR since sophomore year due to long strings of illness or injury. I hoped to get below a 16:30 5k. I ran a 16:44 sophomore year, earning a spot as the fourth fastest sophomore in team history at the time. I couldn’t beat it. I came in at 16:52, quite a bit behind what I had hoped for. Yet I still managed to medal in a meet with recognition for only he top 15. Nick and Thomas were in front of me and Ryan was behind me in the line for medals. A new course record was set while I couldn’t PR, yet I still placed. Forgive me if my shock still comes across as very apparent.

(Another salute to technology as I re-type my last two paragraphs because my iPad rebooted and only retained the first half of the post)


The penultimate point of the day comes from the meet as well, though it really has nothing to do with it. A spider found its way to my hand during the JV girls’ award presentation and I couldn’t convince it to leave until the Freshmen girls were nearly done. The thing is: I didn’t get rid of it. On the bus, halfway back to school, I found the spider, once more, climbing across my hand. I decided to watch it because my seat mate was asleep and everyone else was wrapped up in their music. A minute or so in, the spider walked through air from one knuckle to the other. a few seconds later, it decided to backtrack and hang upside down between two knuckles. It was spinning a web across my hand. For the rest of the ride, I watched the master weaver, no bigger than a pin head, work its magic between my fingers and palm and the bus seat. It finally left my hand when I got off the bus. No, I have not seen it since.


Finally, I’ll get back to the picture (hopefully it’s up by the time you read this). The aqueducts featured here were a piece I created for my drawing class Sophomore year (I suppose I’m spending the night two years in the past). I found myself very far behind by the time I got to the project and had seven days to complete four works of art. I spent about 17 hours on the project, with absolutely no breaks. Maybe there were a couple for biological reasons though. As I neared the end, I still had no idea what I would do for a background. I planned on using water paints to create either an abstract design or a beautiful countryside. Three minutes after I asked a friend which I should do, my pen exploded. The corner of the paper, the mat I was working on, the floor, and my pants were all covered in ink. About thirty seconds later, my second pen exploded, drenching my fingers as well. I took it as a sign and splattered the rest of the project with ink from the pens, then used bottled ink to cast in the shadows. The major catastrophe became, in my opinion, a wonderful background and I was saved what might have become another twenty or so hours of work.

As I prepare for a night of catching up on sleep, I wish happy surprises on everyone and hope they don’t involve nasty twists in the end.


(Reboot number two)

PS: “The Rainbow’s Treasures” has been fully revised at a final length of 2777 words, and is now being sent in for editorial review before its release!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s